A Celebration of New Christian Life in the Body of Christ
Congratulations on your new child in your family. This is a wonderful gift. You can begin the Baptism preparations by contacting Fr. Shaun at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-821-2100.
Baptism within the Parish Community: Sundays at 12:30pm
Our St. Francis community will offer fellowship and formation for your child and family. We celebrate children’s baptisms during the Sunday 12:30 pm Mass most Sundays of the year. Many parishioners are involved in the preparation of this celebration, such as Baptism class facilitators, Baptism set-up team, sewing team, and communications team. If you are interested in helping out, please E-mail Fr. Shaun at email@example.com or call 734-821-2100.
(Please note, infant baptisms are neither scheduled from March 6-April 27, 2019; nor on First Communion weekend, the second Sunday of September, Christmas Eve/Day, and New Year’s Eve/Day.)
Pre-Baptism Class – NO CLASS ON JULY 5, 2018. Class resumes Aug. 2. We ask that you participate in a pre-Baptism class. The class is offered the first Thursday of each month in the School Library at 7:00 pm. No pre-registration for the baptism class is required. Simply show up. We recommend that you attend the class before the birth of your child. Godparents are also welcome to attend. Children of any age are welcome to attend, too. Enter through the school main doors. The library is immediately to your right. (You only need to attend the class once every five years. If you took a class at another parish within five years of your child’s baptism date, please ask that parish to give you a certificate showing you attended or have them E-mail Fr. Shaun at firstname.lastname@example.org
When selecting Godparents we ask you remember these basics required of all Godparents by the Roman Catholic Church:
- Must be 16 years old
- Must be Catholics and have received the Sacrament of Confirmation
(Catholics who are not confirmed may not serve as Godparents or as a Christian witness.)
- Must be able to obtain a letter from their home parish(es) indicating that they may serve as a Godparent
- Only one Catholic confirmed Godparent is required
- If two Godparents are selected, one must be male, and one must be female
- If one Godparent is baptized but not Roman Catholic, that person can be listed as a Christian witness and must be willing to fulfill the role of a Godparent for your child.
Checklist to have your infant baptized at St. Francis
- Register as a parishioner if you have not done so.
- Attend an Infant Baptism Class on a first Thursday of the month at 7pm. If you took a class within the past 5 years at St. Francis or another parish (and can provide proof of attendance), skip to step 3.
- Contact Fr. Shaun to set a date for your child’s baptism at email@example.com
Adult and Teen Baptism
Are you . . .
– Interested in the Catholic faith?
– An adult or teen who was never baptized?
– A parent of a child (over the age of 7) who did not receive Baptism as an infant?
– A member of another Christian faith who is seeking to join the Catholic Church?
– A baptized Catholic who never received any religious instruction?
– A baptized Catholic who never received First Eucharist or Confirmation?
The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is a collaborative process of study, exploration, and faith formation intended for non-baptized adults, teens, or children of catechetical age interested in membership in the Catholic Church, as well as previously baptized Christians who wish to be fully initiated into the Catholic Church through the sacraments of Baptism, Communion and Confirmation. For more information, contact Marty Lucas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-821-2125.